Membership & Benefits
Who Qualifies for Membership?
1. Attorneys licensed to practice law in any state within the United States may join JLTLA for $75 per year.
2. Law students currently enrolled in any law school in any state within the United States may join JLTLA for FREE.
3. Paralegals and legal assistants can join JLTLA for $30 per year. Paralegal students may join for $10 per year.
What Does JLTLA Do?
1. Support Foundation Scholarship Committee in review of annual law student scholarship applications and thousands of dollars in awards
2. Provides mentors to African-American law students and pre-law students
3. Provides opportunities for its members to participate in pro bono legal clinics and other volunteer community outreach efforts throughout the Dallas community
4. Helps to keep African-American attorneys in Dallas informed of local, state and national legal issues (Public Policy Committee)
5. Helps to keep African-American attorneys informed on what is going on in the African-American community in Dallas
6. Helps to promote and market African-American attorneys to the greater community
7. JLTLA website provides an online search engine of African-American attorneys in Dallas by name and legal practice area that is accessible worldwide
8. Serves as a point of contact for legal organizations needing to contact African-American attorneys in the Dallas area
9. Provides a network allowing African-American attorneys in Dallas to get to know each other
10. Host annual L.A. Bedford Awards Luncheon
What are the Benefits?
1. Regular email updates from JLTLA
2. Attorneys may be included in JLTLA member directory
3. Discount on Dallas Bar Association Membership Dues
4. Access events and programs hosted and/or sponsored by JLTLA, including CLE
5. Ability to attend JLTLA monthly meetings and provide input on JLTLA business
6. Ability to join National Bar Association as affiliate member (JLTLA is local affiliate of NBA)