Each year, since 1982, the J.L. Turner Legal Association Foundation has awarded scholarships to minority law students that are from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, or attending law school in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Funds raised from the Annual Scholarship and Awards Banquet are used to fund the scholarships.
There are two distinct types of JLTLA Minority Law Student Scholarships: those awarded primarily on the basis of merit, and those based primarily on financial need.
I. Financial Need Minority Scholarships:
Although JLTLAF encourages academic excellence, the need-based scholarships focus on financial need and are not primarily academic scholarships. In selecting financial-need scholarship winners, we will consider an applicant’s need, disadvantaged circumstances, community involvement, and other factors, in addition to merely academic standing.
II. Merit-Based Minority Scholarships:
There are four (4) JLTLAF merit-based Scholarships that may be awarded in a given year. These are primarily academic scholarship awards. The Merit Scholarships are as follows:
- The Barbara Jordan Scholarship – awarded to the most outstanding female minority law student.
- The Fred Finch Scholarship – awarded to the most outstanding male minority law student.
- The Marie Trahan/Susman Godfrey Scholarship – awarded to an outstanding African-American male or female law student that is from (born in or raised in) the state of Texas.
- The Phyllis Lister-Brown Memorial Scholarship (formerly The Judges Scholarship) – awarded to either a male or female minority law student who has excelled academically.
To be eligible for JLTLAF Minority Law Student Scholarships, you must:
A) be a United States Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident;
B) be currently enrolled in an ABA accredited law school in the United States;
C) be in good academic standing at the law school (proof of academic standing is required); and
D) be either:
1) a second or third year minority law student that is from the DFW Metroplex; OR
2) a second or third year minority law student that attends law school in the DFW Metroplex.
If you are eligible, and are interested in applying for a need-based scholarship, a merit-based scholarship, or both, download the scholarship application that is posted below. Completed scholarship applications must be received by JLTLAF on or before 5:00pm Central Standard Time on September 15, 2017. Please note that only one scholarship will be awarded per applicant.
The 2017 scholarships will be recognized at the J.L. Turner Legal Association Foundation’s Scholarship and Awards Gala that will be held on Saturday October 21, 2017 at the InterContinental Hotel in Addison, Texas. Checks will be mailed January/February 2018, after recipients send in supplemental information to verify continued enrollment in law school.